Thursday, January 7, 2010

Minestrone Soup & a really good example

Here is our pantry challenge meal for 1-7-10














Minestrone Soup

Approximately 8 servings (1 cup each)

2 Tbs butter
1 C Water
1/2 C Carrots chopped
1/2 C Corn kernels
Onion chopped (add according to taste)
1 Can beans such as navy or kidney
2 can vegetable or beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes undrained
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup of ground beef  (already browned & drained)

Melt 2 Tbsp of butter in a saucepan add water, corn & onion.  Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion is tender.

Mix in beans, broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce and ground beef.  Bring to a boil and cook for 18-20 minutes.

Season with Salt and Pepper according to your taste.





Since I am a throw in what sounds good into the pot kind of cook I used pinto beans instead of the navy or kidney like I posted in the recipe & I added about 2 T of barley.


Ok and now for the really great example...




What?  can you not see what I see?




Look a little closer then


 
 Oh alright check out the Best if used by date:

Thats right it says OCT 10 2007!!!!!!!!!!!



And this is what you get when you don't check the expiration date before making the cornbread!



And that is one really really good reason why you should occasionally do a pantry challenge!  LOL  I knew I had things expiring and items in my freezer that would soon be reaching their time limit but I didn't know it was that bad!!!

We ended up having some oyster crackers in our soup instead.

Thanks for stopping by!!
07ba8d304d30ec30228cb0054e85a7e8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a little love!

Related Posts with Thumbnails