Monday, May 3, 2010

One foot in front of the other

Put one foot in front of the other

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

You never will get where you’re going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

If you want to change your direction
If your time of life is at hand
Well don’t be the rule be the exception
A good way to start is to stand

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

If I want to change the reflection
I see in the mirror each morn
You mean that it's just my election
To vote for a chance to be reborn

(repeat chorus twice)

 You have to know that song.  It was from   


Song Lyrics
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

You never will get where you’re going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

If you want to change your direction
If your time of life is at hand
Well don’t be the rule be the exception
A good way to start is to stand

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

If I want to change the reflection
I see in the mirror each morn
You mean that it's just my election
To vote for a chance to be reborn

(repeat chorus twice)


This song I originally heard from the movie: Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Animated)(ABC) December 13, 1970

I have that song playing over and over in my head.  I was on the homestretch of a 5 mile walk when it just popped in my head.  It isn't even Christmas or even close but the words to that song ring so true.  I have found it  it hard to just get up and go.  I have needed to workout and get in shape for a long time.   I'll just be honest here.  I have needed to do this for 13 years.  That is a long time to be unhappy, unhealthy and lazy.  I have pampered myself and said I would do it later or tomorrow.  Tomorrow would always come and go then come and go again.  This time i'm trying to change that.

Last Saturday I decided to start the couch to 5k plan.  It was almost a failure from the beginning.  Almost.  I have a room in my house that holds a treadmill, elliptical and a weight machine.  There is a problem with this room.  It also houses my laundry room and is the room before the kitchen so it catches things that no one wants to put away.  So I had to clean that up and as most of you may feel the same way about cleaning as I do you know that can put an end to it right there.

I forged ahead I did not stop even though it was running through my mind.  You know that nagging voice.  The devil on one side and the angel on the other was totally playing out in my head.  Then I couldn't get the music to play.  I mean come on how are you supposed to walk/run without something to listen to?  DH came to the rescue & even played DJ.

I got on that treadmill and set the speed to 3.0 and started my walk.  My watch was set on interval timer for 1 minute walking and 1 minute 30 seconds for running.  After my warm-up I started my intervals for 28 minutes!  TWENTY EIGHT MINUTES!  Yeah!!!  It just felt good!

Today I woke up and new I needed to just get up and do it.  The weather was nice so I decided that little man and I would walk outside.  And we did.  When I got to one mile I had the devil and angel on my shoulders telling me I could turn back I made it one mile what more do I want.  But I kept going.  I kept talking to myself fighting that internal struggle.  At mile 4.5 I started humming put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking across the floor.  And then I just started laughing.  How could one Christmas song be the thing that just clicks it for me??!!

And I did it!  I put one foot in front of the other and I finished it.

I have too much negativity in my mind and can talk myself out of things pretty easily.  If I just get up and put one foot in front of the other I can accomplish these things.  For my health, for my family and for myself.

Whatever you are facing, whatever you want to do just put one foot in front of the other.







07ba8d304d30ec30228cb0054e85a7e8

1 comment:

  1. You go girl!!! Wish we were there to walk with you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a little love!

Related Posts with Thumbnails